Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Responsibility Of Being A Teacher

Lessons Learned…
The Mirror
Look on the wall, there’s a mirror,
After looking around I see no one is near
So I try it, I try it.
Making my hand move so fine
Ha! Look at that! It is copying mine
And I see it, I see it!
Oh mirror, mirror I can see
Your motion does depend on me.
I blink my eye, so do you
I clap my hands and you do it too
Let’s stomp our feet now to the beat now;
Upon my face I place a frown
Just then the corners of your mouth are turning down
You’re just like me!
Oh mirror, mirror I can see
Your motion does depend on me.
When all at once, to my surprise
The mirror image left and tears filled my eyes
It was a window
And I did not know.
by darcy hill

Teaching. It bears a weight of responsibility such as no other. Precious children, uniquely gifted, wired, inspired, filled with wonder and dreams and infinite potential to touch, change and serve this world as no one else can; these are the treasures entrusted to our care eight hours a day, five days a week, nine months a year, every year throughout their most formative years. With clay feet and great weakness, I stand before each class, each day in full knowledge of my inadequacy. What have I to give them but love, encouragement, and the best of what I have and am.  I am honored and humbled to be a teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment